[<--] Indice [-->]

From "nath" <vallet.nathalie@wanadoo.fr>
Date Mon, 20 Sep 1999 09:52:55 +0200
Subject globe_l: Text of Declaration of Alliance for Change

September 18th, 1999.

Text of Declaration of Alliance for Change
On September 16th, at convention of Alliance in Novi Sad, Declaration of
Alliance for Change was read. Declaration calls upon forming of the
transitional government and free and democratic elections:

DECLARATION OF ALLIANCE FOR CHANGE

We, democratic forces of Serbia, find our people and our country to be on
the edge of abyss.

Therefore, we stand for:

1. Fundamental transformation of political system based on democratic
principles with responsible government, people's representatives elected by
sovereign will of the citizens.

2. Rule of law and constitutional guarantees for highest standard of
protection of individual and collective human rights, including rights of
ethnic communities.

3. Territorial decentralization based on principles of local, regional and
province autonomy.

4. Opening of Serbia towards all international organizations and states with
respect of all international obligations and rules of behaviour.

5. Full protection of private property, honest and neccessary privatization,
free market economy, full cooperation with international financial
institutions and wide opportunities for foreign investments.

6. Founding of true democratic institutions and highest level of autonomy in
Kosovo, security and life in freedom for all people in Kosovo, while
respecting state sovereignty and territorial integrity.

7. Fundamental reforms of relations between Serbia and Montenegro based on
equal and mutually exceptable agreement.

We demand:

1. Responsibility and resignation of Slobodan Milosevic and his regime,
because of catastrophic consequences of his ten year long rule.

2. Founding of interim government.

3. Free and democratic elections based on legal propositions CESID,
controlled by OEBS.

Our people face some gigantic and urgent tasks:

1. Serious changes in economy system and economy policy are neccessary.
Current condition is extremely unsatisfying, with insufficient production
and liquidation, pressure of inflation, massive unemployment and poverty
which is affecting majority of population.

2. Maximum of freedom and support should be given to enterprising initiative
and creation and functioning of free worker's unions, under social trade
economy. Size and role of the state should be significantly reduced,
especially expenses of police.

3. Savings should be used to invest in health and education, in help for
unemployed and their education, increase of financial help for children,
improvement of pensioner's status, and for reduce of taxes and other duties.

4. Control of prices should be revoked, but minimal rents should be
increased.

5. Foreign trade and foreign payments should be gradually made more liberal.

6. It is most neccessary to increase production of food. It is also
neccessary to establish long-term agrarian policy, which would provide
farmers with stable conditions for food production. Such policy would
stimulate farmers to make best use out of land and climate, use directed
towards satisfying needs of our people and once again, making enough food to
export. Such policy would slow down decay of villages and it would stop
young people from leaving villages. Also, it would help rebuild rural family
model and reduce difference in conditions of living between rural and urban
areas. And finally, it would reduce migration of people from villages to
cities.

7. We need serious investment program for restoring constant capital, as
well as for restoring variable capital. Our currency reserves are dried
because of numerous losses of companies. Constant capital haven't been
restored at all in past ten years and there is need for replacing and
mending our financial reserves. This is the case in every area: power
companies, railway traffic, roads, air and ship transport, cars, public
transport, streets, residential buildings, hospitals, schools... We should
also mention consequences of NATO bombardment, especially destruction of
bridges and industry. Replacement of worn out plants in industry and mining,
as well as obsolete machinery in agriculture.

8. Ahead of us, there is massive building of investments, that will probably
last whole decade.

9. Investment activity, change of economy system and economy policy can not
be reformed without integrating Yugoslavia into world trade and finances. We
must do all neccessary to remove blockade on investments from countries of
the West and we must gain access to western trade markets like other
developing countries. First task of our foreign policy must be removal of
sanctions. Second task is solving problems with other countries of former
Yugoslavia. These countries were and still are markets very important to us.

10. Yugoslavia is potential member of Stability Pact for Southeastern
Europe. For us, Pact could be of great importance as a way for receiving
means for reconstruction and development. We could start initiative to make
regulation plan which would include (besides Serbia and Montenegro) Republic
Srpska, Kosovo, and perhaps Bulgaria, Romania and Albania.

Completion of these tasks requires change of government in Serbia according
to:

1. Democracy and free elections under interim government are neccessary
conditions for protecting the human rights and guarantee that there won't be
abuse of power. Settling ethnic and regional relations, as highest level of
territorial autonomy are requests which must be fulfilled in such
multiethnic environment as Yugoslavia.

2. Existing economy system and majority of its administration do not appear
capable of fulfilling those tasks, because of its political burden, and also
because catastrophic results during past decade.

3. The fact that our country is under blockade and that its leading people
are not in position to contact anyone in the world makes current government
incapable of dealing with its basic duties of leading the country and
solving problems of its people. It is obvious that outside world will not
remove blockade as long as current government is still in power.

Novi Sad, September 16th 1999

[prepared by Free Serbia]

                               -

                               -

G            L            O            B           E

european counter network
contact e-mail : samizdat@ecn.org
www.ecn.org/samizdat
envoi de messages sur la liste :  globe_l@ecn.org