[<--] Indice [-->]

From "Ya basta!" <yabasta@tin.it>
Date Tue, 21 Sep 1999 23:25:06 +0200
Subject globe_l: thoughts and actions (2)

Dear Friends,
We are sending you an up-date on our present activities; please take a
look and let us know what you think.

We are also sending the program of action for this autumn linked to work on
migrants, an idea of ours for the 25/26 September to prepare for the
European Day against Fortress Europe on 15 October, that we presented at
Bangalore (PGA conference) - also in the poster session - to collect
possible support from outside Europe.

The text 'Age of Clandestinity' is more general and is meant to be an
overview of the issues we have taken the most regular interest in.

For us this is something that will help prepare for the meeting of Peoples'
Global Action (PGA) - the network that organised Caravan 99 - which will be
held in London in October.  This is a meeting that intends preparing a
European 'consulta' of movements to co-ordinate fights that are often of a
similar nature, carried out by the various European movements.

Let us have your comments and let's start thinking of what can be done for
the action days.

'till soon,

Associazione Ya Basta!
For the dignity of all people
against neoliberism.
Lombardy.
Via Watteau 7,
20125 Milan,
Italy.
tel:  02 6705185
fax:  02 6705621
email:  yabasta@tin.it

-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------

Some thoughts about the Autumn, the fortresses and the borders

The symbol of World War IV is an enormous wall going from the Rio Grande to
Turkey, then Gibraltar and then up cutting out Eastern Europe, to end up
dividing Japan and Australia from the rest of South-Eastern Asia.

While the rulers of Europe meet to decide ñ from the top of their Palaces --
who deserves political aylum and who doesnít, Europe sees the migration of
the victims of World War IV -- the victims of the war engaged by
neoliberalism against humanity after those of the Cold War. And while
european politicians seek ìlegalî measures to restrict people circulation,
in a few years thousands of people died at the Schengen borders: drawn into
seas or rivers, blown by mines, sunk by Navies, shot by the police, hung
beyond the border in bilateral jails, etc.

USA and Schengen walls have each caused in those last 5 years a number of
casualties at least 5-10 times larger than the Berlin wall in 30 years, and
the Schengen information system registers with absolute precision pictures,
data and fingerprints even from babies.

Their crime: to be born out of these borders.
Their life: to work for the wealth of Europe/ USA or being criminalized by
mass media.
Their function: to shift class conflict into race conflict
Their destiny: rejection.

Still their courage, their resistance, their struggles for basic rights tell
us that itís possible to create a world containing many worlds.

One year ago, on September 23, Semira Adamu was killed by this mechanism,
suffocated with bare hands by a policeman. Her fault: not having in her
pocket a document ìlegalî enough to cross the Wall.

Letís turn this anniversary in a moment of confrontation, denounciation and
mobilization!

September 25, Saturday, could become a day of recall and struggle for Semira
and for all those who share her destiny.

Since its construction -- or even before -- we are struggling against one of
the hatred symbols of the Wall: the lager for sans-papier in via Corelli,
Milan. Since the first day of its opening we demand its closure denouncing
the abuses hidden behind it: police violence, attempts to suicide, lack of
medical care. Itís a lager. We must close it. It could become the focus of
this day of struggle.

Our country proceeds on the path choosen for it: demonize migrants, reject
refugees, build ghettoes for Rom gipsies, citizens of the world since
immemorial time.

The Europe of civil rights, so barbariously trodded by neoliberistic
left-wing governments also in our country, passes through:

- The immediate stop to all expulsions
- The closure of all lagers for immigrants
- The regularization of all sans-papiers
- Free circulation and free sojourn

Struggling next to migrants against the Wall of fortress Europe, many
european groups are going to meet on October 15 for an action day against
all rejections to be built in all cities of the fortress, and on Sunday 16
in Tampere, Finland, at the end of the European summit on immigration and
ìsafetyî within the Schengen borders. Two days in which weíll struggle to
recall a story beginning 500 years ago, a story of migration from the
fortress, initially by conquistadores and exploiters, then by ìeuropean
indiosî exploited and with no papers.

A story of conquer, exploitation and fortresses going on also today, with
men and women out of this Wall pushing to enter, with landless
populations -- as in Kurdistan -- for which the right of asylum has been
turned into a practical joke or with population without future like in
Chiapas, for which the right to a decent life keeps a deception, men and
women which, with courage, keep on resisting and building those worlds
containing many worlds.

But our dreams can go far away, and they join those of our camerades living
on the other side of the Wall telling them: we are struggling with the same
stones, and by beating on two sides, the cracks on this Wall will widen much
faster.

And if this day of struggling within the fortress would be carried to the
people beyond the Wall? And if our camerades worlwide, with which we shared
other paths of struggle as the Intercontinental Caravan or the G8 summit,
would know, accept, support and enforce this day of struggle, turning it
into a day against all neoliberistic fortresses, against all borders?

Associazione Ya Basta!
For people dignity against neoliberism
Lombardia

Centro Sociale Leoncavallo

via Watteau 7, Milano, tel 02 6705185, fax 02 6705621,
email: yabasta@tin.it
csleo@tin.it

                               -

                               -

G            L            O            B           E

european counter network
contact e-mail : samizdat@ecn.org
www.ecn.org/samizdat
envoi de messages sur la liste :  globe_l@ecn.org