[<--] Indice [-->]

From "nath" <nath@samizdat.net>
Date Thu, 18 May 2000 18:42:22 +0200
Subject globe_l: "WE ARE ALL FLORA BROVINA"

Freedom for Flora Brovina: A public call for refersal of charges.

"WE ARE ALL FLORA BROVINA"

Belgrade, May 12, 2000

Although conscious of the fact that the judicial institutions are subject to
the needs of the regime, we want to believe that there still exist honorable
persons in the Supreme Court of Serbia who are determined, and who in the
session of May 16, 2000 will make the just decision and free Flora Brovina.

On December 9, 1999, Flora Brovina was sentenced to twelve years of prison
for the crime of "terrorism."  She was condemned without them proving one
type of guilt.  The incriminating material was the bandages (gauze dressings)
and wool for knitting.  Each one of us has in her possession the same
incriminating material.  The "guilt" of Flora Brovina consists in being an
activist of a humanitarian organization, of having organized nonviolent
actions against the repression of this regime, against violence and the war.
Each one of us can be accused of the same "crimes."

WE ARE ALL FLORA BROVINA

Flora Brovina's sentence demonstrates the abuse of the judicial institutions
and the extreme political arrogance.  The sentencing of Flora Brovina shows
not only state repression but also is a prolongation of war, a prolongation
of the continual fabrication of hate, ethnic discrimination, and erasing of
the Other/different.

This regime treats all of us who are different as enemies, others in every
sense-ideologically, ethnically, sexually, denominationally.  The number of
these persons is enormous.  They can touch each one of us.  We are dependent
on the political necessities of the regime.  Each one of us, today, tomorrow
. . . could be an object of state repression.

If we justify any type of repression with the reason "she must have done
something, on the contrary, they did not chase her . . ." or if we
disillusion ourselves that the repression will not touch us only if "we do
not involve ourselves in politics and mind our own business," we allow this
regime not only to break our solidarity but to change us into accomplices and
victims of political repression.  With silence and indifference, we permit
them to commit crimes and repress  "in the name of the people."  There is no
place for the justification "we did not know . . ."

Raising our voices for the liberation of Flora Brovina and all the political
prisoners, for more than their ethnic membership, we assume civic
responsibility, we motivate mutual support and solidarity, and we reject all
types of violence.

We do not want it to touch us.  Because if this occurs, perhaps "no one will
remain to protest."

We, activists of peace organizations and women's humanitarian organizations,
base our jobs on respect for life, respect for others, those that are
different.  For us, peace is not only the absence of war, but also respect
for everyone who thinks differently.  We trust in nonviolent solutions for
all problems and conflicts.  Because of this, we trust that the Supreme Court
of Serbia in its May 16, 2000 session will make a just decision and free
Flora Brovina.

Women in Black-Belgrade, Nis, Cacak
Women are coming-Cacak, Nis, Novi Sad
ZEGRIN-Women's Civic Initiative, Kraljevo
Women in action, Velika Plana
Women's Studies, Novi Sad
Belgrade Women's Lobby, Belgrade
Center for Development of Democratic Society, Kragujevac
People's Parliament, Leskovac
Union of women and mothers, Novi Pazar
UNON-Union of NGOs, Nis
ZAR, Kikinda
People's movement OTPOR
Out of the circle, Belgrade
Cilim, Pirot
Peace action "M", Pancevo
Nada, Sabac
Autonomous women's center, Belgrade
Women in action, Belgrade
Women's Publishing house '94, Belgrade
Justice, Belgrade
Group for the promotion of women's political rights, Belgrade
Center for women's action, Belgrade
Labris, Belgrade
Center for women's studies, Belgrade

                               -

                               -

G            L            O            B           E

s a m i z d a t . n e t
european counter network
bureaucratie : samizdat@samizdat.net
messages sur la liste : globe_l@ecn.org