[<--] Indice [-->]

From "Ya basta!" <yabasta@tin.it>
Date Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:31:08 +0200
Subject globe_l: London meeting, building comunication

Dear Everyone,

A lot of time has gone by and in our part of the world the autumn is
bringing big, slow clouds, swollen with patient rain.

Autumn.  We imagine that for many of you the last message received from the
Ya Basta! posse must have been the one about reflections on the autumn, the
fortresses, the bordersÖthe Tampere summits loomed on the horizon "Öwhile
the powers-that-be in Europe were in their palaces, building new wallsÖ"
European movements made their voices heard, moving arms and legs to take
action against the expulsion machinery.

The merry-go-round worked successfully, many met in Finland and many acted
from their own homes.  The young seventy-year-olds from Plaza de Majo in
Buenos Aires took the police for a ride, balloons covered with oven foil
threw into confusion the electronic eyes of planes for forced repatriation.

The festivities were further cheered by a message from Don Durito from
Lacandona, who informed us from Chiapas that, during a European trip, "he
had to lead a revolt to escape from one of those 'Temporary detention
Centres (for immigrants)', which are a sort of concentration camp, where
the Italian authorities isolate those coming from other countries, and
therefore different, before throwing them out of the country".

This same autumn saw a few dozen Zapatists gathering on the Catalan coast
for a meeting which started off the project for the second civilian caravan
for the observation of human rights in Chiapas itself, anticipating the
visit of Mary Robinson, official NATO (sorry, UN) observer.

How are you all?

We are looking forward to a European meeting in London for the 6 and 7
November (by the way, things start at 6 a.m. and finish at 7 p.m. - is that
right?) and we'd like to know what you think about this.

For some time now we have been asking questions of the women and men who
build gardens of ideas and action without the rubber stamps of the euro or
the dollar, that improve and defend the worst places and moments and fight
against those who want to steal the best ones.  We are asking them, as well
as ourselves, because we feel part of them, why we don't make appointments
with one another and start passing on information and sharing ideas, with
great parties and great actions together, full of life and liveliness?

We don't want to seem like technology freaks but it is no coincidence that
many of those who are reading this message found it on the web or through
someone else who got hold of it on the web and set it circulating from
there.
It's a fact that our last appointments were passed on over the web and
thanks to this we were able to get up-dates in real time.
It's  enough to think back to the intercontinental caravan, to the 18 June
or to the European Day of Action against the expulsions of 15 October.

As we use the web, let's make an effort to link up our lists, our sites and
our messages.  Each one of us, without changing even a comma in what she/he
says, without changing any gestures in the action taken, but with the
opportunity of getting to know one another, sharing, reading the messages
we put out, showing our own pictures to our fellows, establishing a single
container for the exchange of information instead of many containers
simultaneously dealing with individual initiatives.
For this there's the project for a European list and site co-ordinating
Zapatist collectives.  The fellow activists who worked towards the 15
October at Tampere have even set up two sites on the counter-summit which
could be the beginnings of a European site for co-ordination on behalf of
migrants;  the PGA has its site; this week the work group which made the
site for migrants is making another that will be called "The future state
of Balcanja" and this could be the start of a co-ordinating web site for
the BalkansÖZapatism, migrants, WTO, Balkans but also jobs and income,
internationalism and more, according to what everyone wants.

Another example is the "Isole nella rete (Islands in the web)", the web
site of the Italian movements, which we invite you to visit: www.ecn.org
The idea for the European site is that all sites add a window for a link
and that European "edited" mailing lists be drawn up, with the possibility
of reading the messages by connecting to the site without all being put on
the list.  Anyone interested?

For the 'consulta' in the sense intended by the desparacido (querido, a big
hug to all three and sorry for the delay):

"...One of the ideas put forward is to make a CONSULTA (similar to the
zapatists principle). Something to be defined still but it is basically a
horizontal process of groups in Europe thinking about how they want to work
together, on which basis, for which aim. If you want more information on
this feel free to come or contact me : desaparecido@gmx.de
Some emails on the consulta have been sent on this list around the 11th,
16th and 23rd of september.
Someone on this list said the consulta seemed to be a consultation between
virtual activists having personal contacts.
That is not at all the aim. It will only take place if there are many many
groups supporting the call to it, else it is impossible to implement and
has
absolutely no sense. It may never happen. It may take several years to
happen..."

This could be one of the tools -  initially or even permanently.

Coming to the question of London, 6-7 November.

Let us know who is interested, please.
Will it just be a PGA meeting or will other movements be there?  We'd like
this message to reach as many groups, collectives and individuals as
possible, reaching anyone we've met on our various paths or that we'd be
curious to meet - let us know.

In the spirit of creating the consulta, there's a proposal that everyone
who can, should arrive in London ready to present their own experience and
situation, which (we suggest) can be passed on there in the form of
photocopies.  With this in mind we have put out the text "Age of
Clandestinity".  Quite simply, let's start talking about what we are all
doing.

We'd like this to be one of the talking points in the meeting, just as we'd
obviously like to talk about preparations for the initiatives of 30
November at Seattle, perhaps preparing for the meeting with texts to help
us along with our reflections and action.
If Durito tells us that he escaped from the European camps, this means that
once again (although this is no surprise to us) in the forest they have
managed to see that reality is a network with threads of different colours
intertwining  and passing on top of one another continually, disappearing
and then re-appearing again.

It means that trying to improve and defend the worst places and moments and
fighting against those who want to steal the best places and moments means
coming together with those on different routes who have the same objective.
And talking about Seattle also means talking about Zapatism, migration,
income and jobs, as well as free trade, GMOs and many other themes.

Until the next time,
Associazione Ya Basta!
For the dignity of all people
against neoliberism

                               -

                               -

G            L            O            B           E

european counter network
contact e-mail : samizdat@ecn.org
www.ecn.org/samizdat
envoi de messages sur la liste :  globe_l@ecn.org