[<--] Indice [-->]

From wash <wash@ecn.org>
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:22:33 +0100
Subject globe_l: [Fwd: [tchetchenie] les derniers numÈros de War And Human Rights et d'autres infos...]

-------- Original Message --------
Objet: [tchetchenie] les derniers numÈros de War And Human Rights et
d'autres infos...
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 22:38:06 GMT
De: "Comite Tchetchenie" <comitetchetchenie@hotmail.com>
RÈpondre-A: tchetchenie@club.voila.fr
A: tchetchenie@club.voila.fr

WAR AND HUMAN RIGHTS
February 19, 2000
N 152
Interregional Human Rights Network Group
Ryazan Memorial Human Rights Society
www.hro.org/war
subscribe: karta@glasnet.ru

Our work is not politically partisan. Our digest neither duplicates
the Russian federal government's position nor advocates the positions
of Chechen militants. Rather, our purpose is to present as many news
sources as possible so that readers may form their own judgement. We
seek to attract the world's attention to the mass violations of human
rights in the conflict.

Stop Tortures in the Chernokozovo Filtration Camp

On February 19, Human Rights Watch brought an  official accusation
against the guards of the  Chernokozovo filtration camp in Chechnya.
In  its accusation it claims that the guards  systematically beat,
torture, humiliate and  even rape the detained in the filtration camp.

In her interview to Radio Liberty, Human Rights  Watch representative
Ratchel Danber said: "We have already interviewed three men, who  were
detained in these filtration camps. What  they told us, I must admit
that we questioned  them separately during very long talks, and  so,
what these three men said individually  completely matched. They told
us about terrible  things that we had already heard about during  the
first Chechen war. On their arrival to the  camp, the guards usually
make the detained to  run through a passage formed by men. They beat
the runners by tricks and even by an iron hammer. They told about
rapings of women as well as men,  told about tortures and beatings.
They told  about the  conditions in which they had to live,  that are
just unbelievable.Isa, 21-year-old  Chechen men, told that he and
other 10 men were  brought to Chernokozovo by a truck on February 17.
When they got out of  the truck, they had to run  through a passage of
guards (some 20 meters).  The guards were holding rubber sticks.

"When I was running through this passage, the  guards were beating me
with sticks," Isa says.  Then, he was undressed and the guards, who
seemed to fancy his clothes, took them form him. For  about a week, he
had to be in a cell half naked.  All the three former prisoners say
that they  were tortured and beaten during interrogations.
Twenty-four-year-old  Akhmed says that every  time during
interrogations, he was beaten by  men in masks. Before entering the
room, where  these interrogation sessions were held, Akhmed  was asked
to lie down on the floor, creep along  it and say: "Officer, thank you
for accepting  me. I have crept here upon your order."Both  prisoners
say that the guards periodically  injected tear-gas into their cell
and made  prisoners to stand with hands up through nights.  All three
of them tell that they witnessed rapes. Thirty-eight-year-old Vakha
gave a detailed  evidence on two cases of raping in the filtration
camp. On his second day after he was brought to  Chernokozovo, he
heard shouts of a 42-year-old  woman, the mother of four children from
the  village of Tolstoi-Yurt. This woman was  delivered to the camp
together with him. The  guards were beating the woman. "They were
beating her for 15 minutes, then there was  silence for some half an
hour. Then the woman  began begging not to touch her. The soldiers
were just scolding...All this went for quite a  long time. We realized
that they had raped her, "the Chechen says.The former prisoners also
give  evidence about rapings of men.

Human Rights Watch calls on the Russian  authorities to stop
humiliation of prisoners  in filtration camps and to let international
observers into these camps, so they will be  able to watch Russian
soldiers' conduct there.

The Washington Post newspaper published an  article on the same
subject in its issue of  February 19. Its reporter from Narzan also
gives evidences by former filtration camp  prisoners. All these former
prisoners were  released after paying bribes. The reporter  writes:
"It is almost impossible to hold an  independent investigation of what
is going on  there, the Russian military has limited entering  to
Chechnya. Officially sanctioned trips of  journalists there are being
escorted by Interior  Ministry and Federal Security Service forces.
The Kremlin has refused to allow observers from  US, High UN Human
Rights Commissioner and  OSCE  to filtration camps. The International
Red Cross  Committee was also denied to visit Chechen  prisoners.

"The Information on Refugees Was Announced  "Secret"

Ilias Timishev, juridical department head of the  Committee on Human
Rights in the Chechen  Republic, told editors of the issue "War and
Human Rights" on February 18 that his  non-government organization
receives many  reports by Chechen refugees about abuses by the
Migration Office of the Kabardino-Balkarian  Republic (KBR). Human
Rights Committee Head  Khasan Enginoyev turned to KBR Migration Office
Head Kalov with a request to give him an  information about the
people, who applied for  getting a compensation for their lost
household  in Chechnya. On February 18, the Migration  Office refused
Engonoyev in his request.

According to Kalov, such information cannot be  given out as "it is
classified."

The Situation of the Chechen Refugees

Radio Liberty reporter Oleg Kusov reported on  February 18 that Grozny
is still being blocked  by Russian Interior Ministry and special OMON
forces. It is also difficult to move along other  roads in Chechnya.
Tens of thousands refugees  cannot get into their villages. That is
why the  information on victims among civilians and the  state of
deserted houses is being gathered in  refugee camps in Ingushetia.
People have to  cover hundreds of kilometers  by foot in order  to
reach camps . Only they can tell their  country-fellows what is really
going on in their  villages. In Karabulak refugee camp Soglasiye
there is a board, where one can get read  casualty lists. Refugees
from Grozny, Samashky,  Alkan-Kaly give concrete evidence on detention
of citizens of their villages by Russian  soldiers. Refugees say that
the military release  the detained from filtration camps after they
receive from 300 to 1000 dollars in bribes.

Today, refugees from the Shatoisky region came  to the refugee camp
Soglasiye. They say that  the military do not let hundreds of
residents  out of the mountainous villages of Benoy and  Varandy while
they are being bombed and shelled  by federal aviation and artillery.

Red Cross and Red Crescent Help Refugees

The Social Information Agency reported that  early in February, the
Red Cross Committee  appealed with an annual request for a grant  of
41 million Swedish franks (US$25 million)  for the purpose to finance
its activities in  Russia. Seventy-five percent of these funds  will
be spent on continuation of the an aid  program to people suffered in
the Chechen  conflict. In four months, the International  Red Cross
Committee has rendered its aid to  213 252 Chechen refugees staying in
Ingushetia  that are registered by the Migration Office.

In 137 villages situated in Ingushetia, 51 879  refugees received food
parcels. Five hospitals  in Ingushetia received aid for 715 injured.
Six  auto-tanks bring daily from 100 to 150 cub.  meters of water to
nine places, not only to r efugee camps but also to other areas
densely  populated by refugees.

In Dagestan, 69 392 people were rendered medical  aid, 1205 refugees
in Chechnya, 3500 people in  North Ossetia, and 3430 of them in
Kabardino-Balkaria were also treated.

What Is Going on at Block Points in Chechnya

Radio Liberty reporter in North Caucasus Khasin  Raduyev interviewed
Chechen refugee Ruslan  Kasayev, who has just got to Ingushetia:

"People are being treated terribly. The goal is  to humiliate and
insult them. I witnessed how  the military two women, who, to my mind,
had no  any relation either to military actions or to  fighters. They
also arrested another four men  and took them away to unknown
direction. They  confiscated three cars, two buses and two  trucks.
The trucks were loaded with tanks,  where civilians usually were
delivering  water.

Federal troops in Chechnya should more work  with local residents and
their own manpower,  as it occurs that civilians, who have never  hold
weapons, are being insulted and taken to  filtration camps. As a
result, they return  invalids from these camps and this make them
take weapons against their will."

"Mini-Afghanistan at the Russian Territory"

Radio Liberty reporter in Washington Irina  Lagunina took an interview
from well-known  Russian human rights activist Sergei Kovalev: "I
think that at present, Russian human rights  activists and
international human rights  organizations can use only one very
standard  but quite effective method. They should knock  at all doors,
continuously express their concern  and make pressure on the
authorities. The  government in the story with Babistky is all  the
time trying to cover the traces. One should  not let them do so...The
future of Chechnya -  have a look at Afghanistan - you will see the
future of Chechnya. We all have created this  situation, 'a
mini-Afghanistan' at the Russian  territory. A non-stop partisan war
will go on  in the republic, a continuos guerrilla war that  one
cannot win. There is only one way to stop  this war, it is genocide.
And we are already  balancing on the verge of genocide. I don't  know
when we shall cross this shaky brink if  we ever risk to do so..."

"Journalists Should Return From the War"

The Glasnost Protection  Fund and a group of journalists from  St.
Petersburg disseminated a statement with  an appeal to support a
protest action called  "Journalists Should Return From the War" that
will be staged on February 25.Exactly five  years ago, on February 25,
1995, the two  journalists of St. Petersburg newspaper Nevsoye
Vremya, Maksim Shabalin and Feliks Titov, went  to a regular business
trip to Chechnya and did  not return. Since then, nothing has been
known  about their fate. Many newspapers, from  St. Petersburg as well
as from Moscow,  repeatedly wrote about disappeared Max and  Felix and
about searching them by journalists  of Nevskoye Vremya and by their
colleagues from  other newspapers. However, up till now, there  is no
evidence either on their death or that  they are being kept, as their
relatives still  hope, hostage by fighters.

An absurd story with Andrei Babistky, who  actually had helped much in
the search of  Shabalin and Titov, is a sad fact signifying  that 'a
journalist list' cannot be considered  over. The organizers call on
journalist to join  the action and publish a photo of Maksim and
Fellix (it will be made available) in their  newspapers on February 25
together with a small  article on what a big price our media have to
pay for the possibility to write truth in Russia.

Aid to Military Hospitals

The International Red Cross Committee delivered  surgical and
first-aid facilities for 840  injured in military hospitals of
Nalchik,  Mozdok and Kislovodsk. This was reported on  February 18 by
the Social Information Agency.

Wounded Servicemen Need Money on Treatment

In order to collect necessary funds, the  Voroezh Charity and Health
Fund together  with the city's Department for Social Policy  decided
to hold a charity concert. The best  dance and singing groups of
Voronezh will  take part in this concert. Sponsor organizations  have
already bought out some part of the tickets  that cost 10 to 50
rubles. Fund employees say:

"If the total sum of tickets' sale is more than  50 thousand rubles,
we shall buy a facility for  extracting splinters from wounds for a
hospital,  if the sum is smaller, we shall buy expensive  medicine,
the major part of which will make up  strong antibiotics. "One hundred
injured soldiers  in Voronezh hospitals need not only money but  also
enough time. Out of 5-6 months required  for recovering,
unfortunately, they can spend  only a half of the term. As they will
be soon  replaced by another group of wounded soldiers.

"There Is an Alternative to Violence!"

The new cruel war in Chechnya has made many  non-government
organizations to reconsider  their attitude towards the current
situation,  turn to researching techniques and methods of  violent
actions. One of the heads of the  project "Alternative to Violence",
Raffi  Aftandelyan, said on February 18 that on  February 25-27, in
Moscow, "an international  team will hold a seminar on finding ways
for a  peaceful solution to conflicts and complex  situations. The
seminar will be held in a form  of practical workshops and play games.

For more information, please call: 426-3532,  pager 974-23-33N.
426-3532E-mail: brynza@glasnet.ru

See "War and Human Rights" on the Web: www.hro.org/war
Information digest prepared by the Interregional Human Rights Network
Group and Ryazan Memorial Human Rights Society
Edited by Andrey Blinushov
Technical Editor - Julia Sereda
Translated by Inese Lukoshiavichene

With use of information from: Radio Liberty, Radio Echo of Moscow,
Deutsche Welle, BBC, newspapers: Express-Chronicle, Le Monde,
ANP-RUSNET, Web-sites Lenta. ru, Russian DEADLINE, Kavkaz-center,
Gazeta. ru, Inopressa. ru, agencies: Associated Press, Interfax,
ITAR-TASS, Netherlands Press Agency, Agency of Social Information, RIA
Novosti, Reuters, Rosinformcenter, TV companies: NTV, ORT, RTR, CNN,
Amnesty International, Memorial Society, Human Rights Watch, Civic
Cooperation Society, Union of Committees of Soldiers' Mothers,
Glasnost Defense Foundation, own information.

Sincerely,
ANDREI BLINUSHOV
-------------------
Karta/Memorial/Human Rigts Network,
Ryazan, Russia
--------------------
Stop war in Russia:
www.hro.org/war
-----------------
February 18, 2000
N 151
Interregional Human Rights Network Group
Ryazan Memorial Human Rights Society
www.hro.org/war
subscribe: karta@glasnet.ru

Our work is not politically partisan. Our digest neither duplicates
the Russian federal government's position nor advocates the positions
of Chechen militants. Rather, our purpose is to present as many news
sources as possible so that readers may form their own judgement. We
seek to attract the world's attention to the mass violations of human
rights in the conflict.

Manifestation Against the War in Chechnya

The Anti-War Actions Committee invites all  those concerned to express
their protest on  February 19 against the bloodshed in North
Caucasus. The Committee says in its statement:

"Despite Grozny's takeover and victorious reports by the generals, a
considerable part of the  society still does not support the military
operation in North Caucasus. And from  passive  contemplation, many of
them turn to  active  steps.On February 19, on Saturday, a
manifestation will be staged in the Moscow  center to protest against
the Chechen war.  It will begin at 14.00 at the Bolshoi Theater
Square (nearby the monument to Karel Marx).  After a mass-meeting, the
participants will  march to the Solovetsky Kamen (Lubyanka). It  is
expected to be the most massive protest  action over the last years.
The action's  organizer is the Anti-War Actions Committee.

It is made up by representatives of the Human  Rights Center Memorial,
the Union of the  Committees of Soldiers' Mothers, the  Anti-Military
Radical Association, the  Youth Center for Human Rights, the Movement
Against Violence, the Democratic Union Party,  Human Rights Network,
the Center for Democracy  and Human Rights Development, the Anarchist
Anti-War Movement and other organizations.

"The civilized world has learnt to express its  protest against
senseless wars spurred by the  authorities. Hundreds of thousands of
the  Americans marched in the streets to protest  against the war in
Vietnam. Protest actions  were held across the whole Europe against
NATO stikes of Yugoslavia," says the Committee  in its leaflet.
Besides the organizations,  members of the Committee, other prominent
art  and cultural figures, human rights activists,  journalists and
refugees from Chechnya will  take part in the action.The Committee
intends  to show that by far not all Russian citizens  approve the
military operation in North  Caucasus. Protesting against the war, the
Committee points out that it condemns terrorism  and aggression of
fighters towards the  neighboring republics:"We are against the
military operation since the moment when

Page d'accueil sur Voila Club : http://club.voila.fr/group/tchetchenie
http://club.voila.fr - Les listes de diffusion GRATUITES sur le Web

                               -

                               -

G            L            O            B           E

s a m i z d a t . n e t
european counter network
bureaucratie : samizdat@ecn.org
messages sur la liste : globe_l@ecn.org