[<--] Indice [-->]

From "Ya basta!" <yabasta@tin.it>
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:04:47 +0100
Subject globe_l: CALL FOR THE EUROPEAN MEETING OF PEOPLESí GLOBAL ACTION, Milan, March 24-25 2001

Planet Earth, Europe, Milan, 20 January 2001, as an unexpected moment of
sunshine warms these last winter days, we pick up the many threads of a
pattern that is being woven - threads that come together  from far-off
horizons.

CALL FOR THE EUROPEAN MEETING OF PEOPLESí GLOBAL ACTION
Milan, March 24-25 2001

At the crucial moments of the fight for grassroots globalisation, Peoplesí
Global Action has provided information, mutual support and organisation of
initiatives and ever-present and active energy, often anticipating future
developments.

In Europe PGA plunged its roots into the terrain of  Zapatism at the El
Indiano meeting, anticipated concern about the WTO in Geneva and the themes
of agri-busuiness and biotechnology through the intercontinental caravan,
whilst in Prague it once again launched the spirit of Seattle on this side
of the ocean:   a search for maximum co-ordination and respect for
differences.

We have done many things and itís time to reflect on the route we have
followed up to now and the new directions we should take, to see who we are
and what we have in mind.  This is the reason why everyone - individuals or
groups, who at present support PGA activities in Europe or are interested in
making contact and supporting future activities - is invited to a European
meeting of Peoplesí Global Action from 24 to 25 March in Milan.

Within this open framework we include everyone we have met on the roads we
have travelled along:  those who have supported Peoplesí Global Action and
its initiatives in the fight for the rights and dignity of migrants and
exiles without papers - the Zapatist paths in Europe - as well as all those
who have chosen the white overalls as the symbol and practice of their
fight; and naturally we include those who come from routes that are
different from these.

Understandably, everyone has their own plans and fixed dates according to
the direction they have chosen.  In June the network of the fight on behalf
of migrants will be meeting, at the moment there is the Zapatist meeting and
in May white overalls from all over the world will meet in Italy.  But they
will all conceive of Peoplesí Global Action as a container which offers a
common framework capable of accommodating many differences, to everyoneís
benefit.

Over the past few years the wind rising from the grassroots of San Cristobal
has been blowing harder, penetrating to the heart of the global fortresses
and making their thick walls tremble.  Occasions such as the PGA European
meeting are an opportunity to redefine and re-launch future initiatives
regarding our network and the specific role of European movements, as we
compare our experiences and our proposals for the future.

In the Ya Basta network we are collectively defining our ideas and want to
compare them with others.  We think that this should be the content on which
to focus attention in our discussion: grassroots proposal of content must be
the objective - and one to be thought carefully about in order to make it
more effective.  It is an objective we have established in preparing action
for the Genoa G8 from 20 July onwards.  We call on you to do likewise and
remind you of the procedure for taking part in the European meeting which,
as European convenors of the PGA, we agreed upon for the first call for the
meeting, together with the ex-European convenors, Reclaim the Streets -
London:-

All those who are interested are invited to contribute to the preparation of
the meeting by sending the following,  at least three weeks before the date
of the meeting:

1)  presentation of the person/group taking part and the reasons for their
participation;
2)  presentation of proposals for the agenda.

Attendance does not necessarily depend on making these contributions , but
they will make the debates easier to organise and will be considered as
elements that give priority of access to speakers.

Those interested in attending are advised to organise local, regional or
national meetings in preparation.

We also suggest organising exchanges of opinion regarding the European
meeting, as side initiatives at events regarding similar themes that may
already have been organised; obviously these exchanges should not steal time
from the discussion of the themes for which the events were organised and
should be agreed on with the organisers.

As a means of communication, we shall be using the mailing list HYPERLINK
ìmailto:caravan99@list.free.deî, the list in use by the PGA European network
since the intercontinental caravan project.  All those interested are
invited to register with this list by sending a blank message to HYPERLINK
ìmailto:caravan99-subscribe@list.free.deî.   Future decisions regarding
communications in the PGA European network will be taken at the European
meeting.

The following are the details for contacting the Ya Basta! Association, the
present European convenor of the PGA and reference point for the
organisation of the European meeting:

HYPERLINK:  mailto:yabasta@tin.it
tel.  +39026705185
fax.  +39026705621
address: Ya Basta!
Centro Sociale Leoncavallo,
Via Watteau 7,
20125 Milan, Italy.

The meeting will take place in Milan, Italy at the Centro Sociale
Leoncavallo, Via Watteau 7, from the morning of Saturday 24 March to the
evening of Sunday 25 March.
Participants are advised to arrive on the evening of the 23rd and to give
the organisers details of any accommodation needed.
We also invite you to take part in the organisation of the meeting and give
it your full support.

For further information on the PGA and access to its manifesto, the website
is:  http//www.agp.org

For further information on Ya Basta! the website is:
http://www.yabasta.it
or
http://www.ecn.org/yabasta.milano

Ya Basta!  Association
For the dignity of all people, against neoliberalsim

                               -

                               -

G            L            O            B           E

s a m i z d a t . n e t
european counter network
bureaucratie : bureaucratie@samizdat.net
messages sur la liste : globe_l@ecn.org