[<--] Indice [-->]

From Wash <wash@ecn.org>
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2001 01:54:31 +0200
Subject globe_l: Gaby Wolf, objecteur israÍlien arrÍtÈ (en anglais)

Dear Friends,

On Sunday, 1 Apr. 2001, The 19-year-old Israeli conscientious objector
military
service, Gabriel (Gabby) Wolf was imprisoned after refusing to undergo
recruitment. The rest of the message is divided into two sections - the
first containing background information on the case and the second
listing
recommended action.

1. BACKGROUND INFORMATION

Gabby wolf objects to serving in the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) as this
is
an army engaged in the occupation of another people's land. In a recent
letter Gabby Wolf Writes: "In the course of dialogue with all the shades
of
[Israel's] political spectrum and most social groups ... I understood
that
the State of Israel is founded on values, some of which, like its lack
of
separation between state and religion, and its racism, standing at the
basis
of the justification given for the existence of the State of Israel in
its
present mode, are starkly incompatible with my own values. As a result
of
this racism and of other factors, the State of Israel is now in the
situation of occupying territories that do not belong to it and
dominating
the people living on these territories, denying its basic rights. ...
After
reading great amounts of material (including reports by Amnesty and
B'Tselem), I became ever more deeply convinced that the only possibility
have to act within the limits set by my conscience is to refuse to be
enlisted in the IDF. ... My position of principle, according to which
any
participation in the Israel Defence Forces constitutes an intolerable
concession over my moral principles, remains unchanged. I am not willing
be enlisted and am prepared to bear the consequences of this refusal".

Gabby Wolf was interviewed by the military Conscience Committee (a body
made
up exclusively of military career personnel, hearing the claims of
conscientious objectors. This committee has recently admitted to be
guided
first and foremost by "The manpower needs of the IDF"). His request for
exemption from military service was declined on the grounds that "The
committee was not convinced that you [Gabby Wolf] are a pacifist".
Gabby's

CO Wolf is now being held in Military Prison No. 4 in Tzrifin After
being
sentenced to 14 days of imprisonment (he is due to be released on 13
April).
It is expected that Wolf will
return to prison after release repeatedly, until he reaches a quota of
56
days' imprisonment, which would make him liable for exemption from
military
service on grounds of unsuitability. It is, however, possible that a
longer
sentence be given to him on one of the occasions.

We will update you on details as we get them ourselves. In addition, we
will
be glad to answer any questions we can.

2. RECOMMENDED ACTION

First of all, please forward this message to other individuals, groups
and
organizations that you think would be willing to take part in action on
behalf of CO Gabby Wolf. Also, please forward updates that will follow
this
message to the same list.

Please have appeals written and sent ASAP calling for Gabby Wolf's
immediate
and unconditional release to the addresses below.
Feel free to add your thoughts on the practice of imprisoning COs in
general, on Israel's occupation of the Palestinian territories and on
other
relevant issues. When writing to Gabby himself, it is recommended to use

postcards, as they would arrive to him faster.

Note that the commander of the military prison in which Gabby Wolf is
held,
although being a relatively junior official in the system, is by far the

most important recipient for appeals. This is because international
pressure
on prison personnel is known to work wonders in preventing maltreatment
and
abuse in Israeli military prisons - maltreatment and abuse that are
otherwise widely practiced in these facilities. Sending appeals by fax
is
recommended.

Finally, below the signature, there is a sample appeal. You may use the
text, modify it, or write your own.

Following is a list of recipients for appeals and letters:

Gabriel Wolf
Military Personal Number 7158325
Military Prison No. 4,
Military postal number 02507, IDF
Israel.

Commander of Military Prison No. 4,
Military Prison No. 4,
Military postal number 02507, IDF
Israel.
Fax: ++972-3-957-52-76

Chief Military Attorney,
Ha-Qirya,
Tel-Aviv
Israel.

Lt. Gen. Shaul Mofaz,
IDF Chief of Staff,
Ha-Qirya,
Tel-Aviv,
Israel.
Fax: ++972-3-569-55-94

Mr. Binyamin Ben-Eliezer,
Minister of Defence,
Ministry of Defence,
Ha-Qirya,
Tel-Aviv 61909,
Israel.
e-mail: sar@mod.gov.il
Fax: ++972-3-696-27-57 / ++972-3-691-69-40 / ++972-3-691-79-15

Mr. Ariel Sharon,
Prime Minister
Prime Ministers' Office,
Qiriat David Ben-Gurion
Jerusalem,
Israel.
e-mail: webmaster@pmo.gov.il
Fax: ++972-2-566-48-38 / ++972-2-651-26-31

thank you for your attention and action,

Sergeiy Sandler - New Profile & Conscientious Objectors in Israel.

--------------
Sample letter:
--------------

Dear Madam/Sir,

It has recently come to my attention that a 19-year-old conscientious
objector to military service by the name of Gabriel Wolf (military
personal
number 7158325) has been arrested on 1 April and is held in Military
Prison
No. 4 in Tzrifin.

The imprisonment of conscientious objectors, whatever their particular
beliefs, is a grievous violation of basic human rights. No such action
can
be tolerated in a democratic society.

I call for the immediate and unconditional release of Gabriel Wolf,
without
threat of further imprisonment in the future. I also call upon you to
cease
the imprisonment of conscientious objectors to military service in
Israel.

Finally, I believe that in these times of crisis, Gabriel Wolf's act
represents a voice to be heeded by all, as it stands for peace and for
the
recognition of the basic dignity of all human beings alike.

Sincerely yours,

                               -

                               -

G            L            O            B           E

s a m i z d a t . n e t
european counter network
bureaucratie : bureaucratie@samizdat.net
messages sur la liste : globe_l@ecn.org